Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Where have the days gone. It seems a lifetime since I have updated. Well there is good reason for that I assure you. The past few weeks have been filled with visitors. First my fiance, Adam, came to visit and then my mom. It has been a blast and it makes me feel more like a local and less of a visitor myself while giving tours of local hot spots, especially with navigation in Anchorage.

My mom was here for two weeks. Two weeks may not seem like long but this has been the longest that either of us have been in the presence of one another consistently since I left home. College is busy, I have spent my summers as a camp counselor so it was fun to have two weeks together.

It is interesting to be with one person especially when it's family. What's the old saying? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I guess I am no exception.  With my mom visiting one thing I noticed was how she always makes lists so as not to forget things. She has always done this but I have never really took notice until recently. I do the same thing! I am a list person. I make lists for to-dos, things to pack, groceries anything really, I always make lists. Another thing, music. My mom is a phenomenal organist and pianist as well as trumpet player and singer. While I cannot do all of these things music is a big part of my life. Perhaps it's because mom played piano before nap time while we were little, or forced my sisters and I into piano lessons (which we later thanked her for) but music is a large part of who I am..



I credit my mom with many things but I cannot forget about my dad. My dad is a hard worker. If one could step into the Kuhl household the end of September-November it would take but a few minutes before one would realize the physical labor and mental stamina that my dad posses. I don't know anyone else that can run on 3 hours of sleep, chocolate and Mt. Dew for three months straight and still have time to be a husband and father of four. This is also true of myself. I cannot do things half-heartedly but rather full throttle and always to the end. My dad also has a way with words. Not speaking them so much as writing them. This is true of me. It takes me time to think and process as I am a far better writer than I am a speaker.

Both of parents have a strong faith which is one of the big reasons I have been led to be a DCE. I credit them with bringing my siblings and I to faith in Christ and to lead with a servant heart. I am so blessed to have parents as wonderful as them, and I am blessed that with them I have such an extend family of people both in Minnesota, and Alaska to support and encourage me as I continue this journey. Thanks to all of you, you know who you are. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment