Monday, July 2, 2012

Transitions

Life is full of transitions. Transitions come in all shapes and sizes. But they all require us to change. move from one place to another. Or from one job to another. Or even from one relationship to another. Sometimes we think that staying in one place will give us the stability we crave. And sometimes it does. But only for a while. Because that's the way life is. Time moves on. And even if our geography stays the same, each of us will still face life's inevitable "passages." From one age to another. From one responsibility to another. From one stage of life to another. Each requiring a new way of relating, a new set of skills, and a new perspective.

The life of Jesus was clearly marked by moments in time which transitioned Him from one season to another.  These moments allowed Him to assess and close the previous season which, in turn, opened the door to the new season which lay ahead. His dialogue with the religious leaders at age twelve, His baptism and His Father’s confirmation at the Jordan, the Mount of Transfiguration experience, His personal crucible in the Garden of Gethsemane… these were all significant moments that concluded a past season and opened a new season. At each moment we find Christ making a fresh consecration to the Father’s will and thus journeying victorious into and through the next season.

One of the most difficult things is life to do is to say goodbye. I’ve given my saga many times on how I don’t believe in goodbyes. I like to call them “see you latters” instead. One can take comfort in knowing that in our baptism and faith in Christ that if we do not meet this side of heaven there is the joyous reunion upon eternal life with Christ.


With that said, saying “see you later” is never easy. I think of all the military families in the congregation of Our Redeemer and how many of them makes moves ever 3-4 years some more often than that. It’s difficult but it’s also reality. I may not be military for the US government but I am a part of the Lord’s Army.

As one seeking full time church work there will be many more “hellos” followed with “see you latters”. It happens with each move, with each call with each place God sends Adam and I. It’s apart of this whole thing to bloom where we are planted.

No matter where life takes you, you have a choice. A choice to be sad, lonely, upset for not being quite where one desires. But you have a choice. When I was given the choice I jumped in and fell in love with dozens of people and a land that now holds a special place in my hear.

Leaving Alaska is difficult but I also know that I fulfilled the work that God placed for this year of internship. There are of course still tears shed. I was told by a wise man with several decades of ministry under his belt that tears are good “tears means you were invested” he told me. Invested! That is certainly true. Leaving Our Redeemer behind I know that ministry will continue. Lives will be lived. Hope and happiness and joy will be renewed. Ecclesiasts 3 tells us “…that for everything there is a season”. The word "season" by it's very nature indicates that it will only last for a time. For each of us, this season will be different. Some seasons may last longer than others. But somehow we become okay with the thought of a season coming to an end. 

Sometimes what we're not okay with is the "transition" part. Very often we dig in our heels and resist change with all our might. The transition to the scorching heat wave back home I am not looking forward to, especially since I have not experienced temperatures above 75*F in over a year. Nonetheless, we look forward with hope to what God has for us in the future.

For me the next year of my life is a crossroads. Finishing college, getting married, our first apartment seeking my first call in full time DCE ministry, and moving and transitioning once again to where God would lead. It’s exciting, it’s terrifying, and it is transitioning. As I write I’m cruising around 30,000ft I do not know exactly when I will return to Alaska or when I will see my family but I know that right now, at this 30,000ft moment I am right where I need to be in this transition.

 **I plan to add more photos but this in-flight internet is super slow

No comments:

Post a Comment