Sunday, June 10, 2012

Because I knew you...I have been change, for good

To my Our Redeemer Family and all those who have touched my life this past year here in Alaska.

To everything there is a season, and time to every purpose under heaven… (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

If you would have told me a year ago I would be in Alaska I would have laughed and thought you were joking. Alaska was the farthest place from my mind. Looking back now I can’t imagine being anywhere else.

Arriving in Alaska was rather overwhelming. 2500 miles away from home, and I didn’t know a single soul. That quickly changed. The congregation of Our Redeemer soon became my family, so much that now I cannot imagine my life without each of you. When I say the words “Our Redeemer Lutheran Church” I don’t think of the church, rather I think of individual faces of people who make up the church.

I have enjoyed so much of my time here and have appreciated having this wonderful opportunity to work and learn alongside all of you. Your encouraging conversations, thoughtful wishes, guidance, even jokes and light hearted pestering I will forever cherish.

I would like to thank you all for the support you have given me while on internship. For brushing the snow off my car, dropping by my office to say hello, invitations into your home over Holidays, a coffee date, or simple smile to brighten my day. I cannot express with words my sincere gratitude for all you have done for me. Every volunteer, every donated item for a retreat or event, every listening ear or willing hand that makes my job much easier I am eternally grateful.

This past year has gone so quickly I feel like I’ve only been here a few months. The passion and energy I witnessed from those around me was—and will continue to be—a daily source of inspiration.

I feel incredibly blessed to have shared a year with you all. I’d like to think I had the best internship site of any of the interns. I have been able to be apart of such a diverse range of experiences I feel as though I can handle anything, in any setting God places me.

ODE TO OUR REDEEMER:
Moonwalkers in the snow
Guitar lessons, and youth
Confirmation, hockey game,
And the, Mooses Tooth.

Record breaking snow,
northern lights up in the sky
moose guts, sled dogs,
my how time does fly.

Choir Tuesday nights
Pretty colors in the fall
Printer jams again
Thanksgiving come one and all

Children’s Church each Sunday
And hand bells Wednesday night
Children’s Christmas Service
New year’s fireworks delight

Mountain hiking journey
Pretty sunsets with a view
LWML Brunch 
And a bagpipe concert too!

Eleven feet of snow
April fools it snows again
Breakup is so messy
Woodcarving fun with Len

Staying with the Semmlers
Housesitting ‘round the land
Flickering lights in office
The Trustee’s lend a hand

Our Redeemer how I’ll miss you
As now it’s time to part
I may be gone in distance
But I’ll keep you in my heart.

As of July 2nd I will be moving to a new chapter in life. At that time I will head back to Minnesota to finish up my final semester of college, get married to the love of my life, Adam, and await a call as a DCE wherever God leads us.

I have never been good with good byes. They turn me into a blubbering mess of emotion. There is joy of being a believer in Christ and knowing that one never has to say goodbye. Whether we meet again this side of heaven I know one thing is true that I will see you each again as promised by our Savior and for that I am filled with joy. So to all of you I say not “goodbye” but “I will see you later”. J

No comments:

Post a Comment