Sunday, June 3, 2012

Whiskey Gulch: Day 2

I awoke early without an alarm. It was 4:50am high tide was at 7:00am. I was told to be awake to get the gear and boats ready by 5:30am. I unzipped the sleeping bag and let the dog out of the tent. I piled on the layers, pulled on my waders, and was ready to go.

I met Vern down on the beach as he was pulling his boat out of the box. Yes the Zodiac boats fit in a box. I helped assemble the floorboards and inflate the sides. We then carried it down to the water. Next we transferred the boat motor from the pick-up truck to the four-wheeler and then attached it to the boat. I left for this part as Chuck (my host dad) called me over to his boat.
Assembling the Zodiac

Making trips to load the gear
I would be riding out with Chuck along with, Faustin, Bart (the boats hold four people). Chuck instructed me to load up all the fishing rods, as well as the trident spear, paddles, 10 pound of herring (for bait), and nets.


Around 6:30am we wadded out into the water, jumping in the boat one at a time until finally we were all aboard. I was up front with Bart so we were in charge of paddling out to deeper water. With a wave goodbye we were off.

And we're off-time to paddle out.
Chuck started up the motor and we sped along. It was not a calm day, but there were no white caps. Being in the front of the boat one definitely feels the waves more than in the back. Bart and I held on to the ropes attached to the side of the boat and each time we hit a wave we would fly several inches into the air, falling back down into the boat as our tight guiding grip commanded.

It took a good 15 minutes to reach the perfect spot. This “spot” has been used for many years by the church group. One can located it by aligning the boat perpendicular with a cell tower and smack dab between two distinct mountain peaks.
Venturing out-all 6 boats
That black speck is the Zodiac--with Mt. Redoubt (volcano) in the background
We threw down the anchor and began to bait the hooks—the very large hooks I might add. Faustin ripped a herring in half and gave the head to me. He told me to put the hook right through the eye of the herring since that was the part least likely to rip. From there I dropped my hook and 3lbs weight into the water.

It descended approximately 200 feet as Chuck estimated the depth. Then I waited. I felt my line drag across the bottom of the inlet floor. Then less than five minutes after I had dropped line I had a tug. I set the line and yelled “Fish on”. I began to reel in the line. The fish really was fighting. He fought and fought and I just kept reeling in. 200 feet of line is like an eternity and it’s quite exhausting. When the fish reached the surface I looked only to be disappointed that it was not a Halibut but a Cod. I took him off and threw him back (yes I did it all myself).

This process was repeated two more times—both times Cod. Finally on the forth cast (well drop of line) I felt a tug. I began to reel in again. This time there was not a fight so I was feeling disappointed because it felt rather small. After reeling in about 100 feet of line (as I would estimate) my arm was tired. It was heavy. Bart showed me how to position my rod under my leg to add leverage. I continued to reel and then the most ugly, yet most beautiful fish I’d ever seen was revealed. A GIANT Halibut.
47lbs!
The bottom side of the Halibut 

I say “giant” because it was 47lbs—the largest fish I’ve caught in my life, but I’m told that Halibut can be twice that size so for the type of fish it was only slightly above average. This one was too big for the net so instead Chuck speared it and it was flopped beneath my feet on the floor of the boat.

I caught another Halibut half the size of this one it was around 20lbs but still larger than anything I’ve caught before. With my limit caught (2) I was done for the day. The other three people on the boat also reached their limit so we headed for shore.

I was cold and wet, but I was incredibly satisfied. The ride to shore was bumpier than the ride out as the waves picked up and there were a few white caps starting to form. Let me tell you, it is rather difficult to hold oneself on the boat when the entire floor of the boat is covered in fish. I relied heavily on my feet to balance/secure myself and having slippery slimy fish presents an added challenge. Flying literally off my seat in the front of the boat we made it ashore.

Once ashore the welcome crew brought saddle horses and large sheets of particle board to create cleaning tables. Others brought garbage bags for the completed fillets, and filet knives. My hands were absolutely freezing, by this point they went from feeling cold to completely numb. I helped pull the boats ashore and remove all the equipment. I remember trying to pick up my rod and dropping it because I had lost all feeling in my hands. I ran up to the fire to warm my hands only for a minute and Terri called in a joking yet serious call that I was not finished yet.



 I ran back down to the shore and Chuck gave me a crash course in cleaning the Halibut. It’s rather easy actually and because they are so large there is a lot of meat and few cuts. Yes I cleaned not only my two Halibut but four others. It was fun and my favorite part, as gross as it seems is peeling off the skin.

Peel
To clean a Halibut one makes a straight cut down the middle and then along both sides, being cautious on the permanent eye side of the fish not to puncture the stomach. I say permanent eye because the eye moves as the fish develops. Then you pull the skin off. Finally one cuts along the interior spine to remove 2 fillets. The fish is the flipped over and the process repeated.

After it is cleaned the carcass is cast out into the water at which point hundreds of sea gulls and dozens of Bald Eagles take over the region. Fun Fact: There are more Bald Eagles in Alaska than all other states combined.
The carcas halibut goes back in the water.
5 Bald Eagles (including one immature one). There were more like 20 but I only could capture 5 in one photo.

This could be a professional photo don't you think?

Lots of seagulls with Mt. Iliamna (Volcano) in the background
  As quick as everyone was done cleaning fish another crew headed out at low-tide 1:00pm. Tides go in and out every 6 hours so there are several chances in a day to go fishing.


Crew #3 of the day. The 9:00pm tide group

No comments:

Post a Comment