Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Alaska Fall...Oh look a BEAR!

Yesterday I took the chance to enjoy the fantastic fall weather here in Alaska. The leaves here have almost all turned from rich colors of green to multi-colored autumn tones of red, yellow, orange and brown.
The drive to Eklutna
I decided to take a hike near Lake Eklutna on the Twin Peaks trail. Twin Peaks was the first hike I experienced here in Alaska. A hike that almost killed me because I was promised by Sara (who I swear is part mountain goat) that it was "easy" when really it is rated "difficult" by the board at the trail head. Anyways, I ventured off by myself for what I expected to be a relaxing, and peaceful hike.
Headed to the Twin Peaks Trail Head


I arrived at the parking lot to find only three cars. It was quite and there was hardly any people around. I was excited for this because my introvertedness wanted alone time. When hiking alone, it is wise to either sing out-loud or talk. This comes naturally to me so on my hike I began to sing. It was quite a work out as I was singing rather loudly, and losing oxygen through the extensive work out. After singing some tunes I began to do some wedding plans (by talking to myself).

Green, Yellow, Red, and Brown!
The trail was covered in yellow leaves

The hike was absolutely beautiful. I was the only person on the trail (I expected as much since there were only three cars in the parking lot). The leaves were covering the trail, it was spectacular! The whole time I was slightly paranoid becasue with each leaf that fell I would hear the sound and think it was an animal but time after time it was just leaves.

After hiking for a good 45 minutes I was about two switchbacks from the first bench (which is about 1.2 miles from the trail head). The total elevation gain if one goes all the way up is 3500 feet so I would guess I had gone about 1500 feet of so. I was singing "Trading my Sorrows" at which point I noticed a big black bear in the middle of the trail in front of me. I have seen several black bears since being in Alaska but there had always been small and cute. This one was big and not cute...I was, well... startled.

I turned around and calmly retereated in the opposite direction back down the trail singing "The Ants Go Marching One-by-One". I continued singing and noticed the bear following me. Not actively perusing me, but he was casually walking in my direction. This freaked me out a little more than...well...I was rather hysterical.

Headed back down
Being shook up I did what any person would do...I reached for my cell phone to call my "mom", well my host mom, Terri. I'm not sure why. It's not like she could ward of the bear, she was probably still at school. I turned my phone on to find no cell reception which is common for the Eklutna area.

Eklutna Lake down below
Click for larger image-The distant trees look like a painting AMAZING!

Anyways I was fine, and continued my hike back down. On the way down I did encounter a Magpie and since I was rather jittery and had adrenaline I let out a shriek to which the Magpie flew frantically away.

Panorama of Lake Eklutna
The hike was overall good but next time I think I will take Jorge (the dog) with me. :)

1 comment: