Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Found Youth at the Fair

Sunday was the annual Alaska State Fair Scavenger Hunt. It went well. It is a joint event with the churches from Wasilla, Palmer, and Chugiak. It was fun to watch the kids run around and look for the pictures that we not always obvious. I feel they had fun and I know I did too.

The drive to the fair was crowded. What normally takes 15 minutes took me 45! To get to the fair there is only one road, single lane. It was backed up for seven miles and it was slow going. Once we got to the fair it took another 15 minutes to park. There is no parking lot but rather a giant grassy field.

I can defiantly tell it is fall. At the fair it was very cold and I wished I would have brought my gloves because my hands were like ice cubes by the end of the day. It was also VERY windy. The fair it in an area referred to as "The Valley". In the winter there is a dramatic temperature change between Chugiak, and Palmer due to the windchill. The town of Palmer, and the fairgrounds are sandwiched between two glaciers (Matenuska Glacier, and the Knik Glacier) which adds to the windy issue. I asked the kids why it was so windy to which one of my youth replied "Because Wasilla Sucks" I laughed.

The crew!
Mmmm, Husky Burgers!
Halibut Tacos--Alaskan's do love their Halibut, on EVERYTHING
The grassy "parking lot" for the State Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment