Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January was Cold and Snowy

Short update but I thought all you midwesterners would like to know...while you were experienceing a very warm and moderate "June-uary" [January], I was lucky enough to endure the third coldest January on record with an average temperature of 21.4˚F. This average is for all the temperatures across the entire state of Alaska. Chugiak, AK (my area) had a period of three weeks straight where we did not get above zero and after peaking out at 3˚F above dropped again for another week and a half straight of sub zero temperatures. The coldest temp I saw was -29˚F the day which the temperature difference from my house to outside was 100˚F! Talk about a shocker for my body walking outside.

Below is the official weather statement from the national weather service reporting the record and also Avalanche warning. We also has lots of snow. While Anchorage did not make the books Kodiak did. 40.4 inches in one month. Cordova reached 122 inches of snowfall for the month of January but amazingly did not break record.

No comments:

Post a Comment