Monday, March 12, 2012

Ice in Fairbanks

Adam and I awoke early on Friday with much to do in a short time. We headed out the door by 8:00am to head to the 2012 BP Ice Sculptor World Championship. The art of the ice sculptures is INCREDIBLE!! I wanted to show you all the pictures so scroll through the slideshow below to see what Adam and I saw.
Duh! I thought that was common sense
It was a chilly -13 degrees out and yet it was snowing. Among the most memorable of the sculptures was a larger than life Polaris Snowmobile. The detail was amazing. The track of the snowmobile so intricate with each cleat carved perfectly to look so real. The detail was amazing down to the logo, and instrument gauges of speedometer and tachometer (RPM gauge).

Each crystal on the bottom contains a Coca-cola bottle
Reminds me of my brother Amery

Ice Outhouse!
After taking in all the artistic sculptors we had a little fun. We headed over to the giant slides made of pure ice. It was like the jumbo slides at a fair with several shoots side by side. I of course had to take a run for myself. Which I do not have pictures of since Adam took a video of me.


Ice Maze
After the giant slides we meandered over to the smaller slides including a whale slide which I also had to give a try. The slides were fun but there was also a HUGE ice maze. I could not get a good picture of it being on the level with it but below is the picture from their website. We did not go into the maze as we were getting quite cold by this time having been outside for close to two hours.

After the ice show we headed to downtown and turned into the Wal-Mart parking lot to get a picture of all the winter outlet stations. Fairbanks reaches ridiculous subzero temperatures so many parking lots of stores have complimentary outlets. Lowes, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, even the church that Tia (the DCE of whom we stayed with) works at has plug-in’s in their parking lot. Fairbanks is for the hardcore. While I love Alaska I could see myself living here someday I don’t think I could reside in Fairbanks.

Each yellow station has an outlet
Plug it in, plug it in...

No comments:

Post a Comment