Thursday, November 10, 2011

Snow Day Every Day

Today I awoke to snow. I’m getting used to this. As I mentioned before I am currently house sitting. I found the best way to brush off my car (each time no less than 3 inches) is with a shop broom. It takes less time and is way more efficient. I think I will have to invest in a shop broom when I go back to my host home. Although there is lots of snow I must admit it is a lot better than having to scrape ice off the windows. Snow I can just brush off but ice takes work.

Each morning I start my car 15 minutes early to warm it up. It’s nice getting in a pseudo warm vehicle and it’s worth it, in my opinion. Today I once again had to plow out of the driveway. Since the plow had come by there was a good two foot wall of snow so I heave-hoed my way out. The roads were plowed but not clear. Even when they are fully plowed it is never down to dry pavement.

The snow was really coming down, straight down. Huge, luscious, wet flakes. It was beautiful in its own way. I arrived at church. The church parking lot has not been plowed fully so getting in there is quite a bit of snow, a good six or so inches. The church policy is not to plow unless there is four or more inches. Although we have had more snow than that, we try to hold out as long as possible to wait until as close to Saturday (the day the food pantry opens) as possible. 

Pastor's snowy commute
It looks like it will be a white Christmas for sure...
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Pastor had shoveled a nice path on the sidewalk and cleared a path for his commute (the walk from the parsonage next door). Although he had scooped the snow at 7:00am there was a good inch or so that had formed since then (an hour and a half later).

At around 3:00pm pastor again went out to this time with the snow blower to clear out an area for a row of cars for this evenings church council meeting. The snow had stopped and it turned out to be a crystal clear day.

I went out to move my car at Pastor’s request (so he could blow snow) and saw the mountains with a vibrant red. The sun reflecting it’s perfect hues of red and pink. Despite the snowy beginning it was a beautiful end to the day…although the sunlight ends there was much more to do in the day.

Pastor blowing out parking for council meeting parking
Red tint, notice the clouds hanging on the left side of the picture
Sunset 4:30pm
After work I taught guitar lessons, and then headed off to an ACYB (Alaska Conference Youth Board) meeting at Jitters Coffee Shop. We planned the upcoming NW district middle school gathering. It is going to be epic. Since the NW district is so spread out there are four separate regional locations (Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Alaska), that will be connected for large group worship, and sessions via streaming webcam. One week until the gathering. The fun never end :)

Moon Rise over the mountains 5:30pm


No comments:

Post a Comment