Sunday, November 6, 2011

Winter Hike

For the next week and a half I am house sitting for a lovely family from Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, the same family I house-sat for in July. They have an adorable dog named Toonie who is one of the most well behaved dogs I've met.

So this morning I awoke to let Toonie out to do her business only to find the sidewalk covered with about four inches of snow. I put on my boots and scooped the sidewalk off and went in to have breakfast. About and hour later as I left for church I went outside only to find another two inches of freshly fallen snow-such is life. I had to literally dig my car out. My car is relatively flat (the hood, trunk and top) and there was a perfect stack of 5 or so inches. I was going to take a picture, and wished I would have, but my boots were covered in snow and I just wanted to clear off my car and get to church. 

The drive to church was...un-plowed. I think that the plows were probably awaiting the snow to finish before going out. When I crossed the median of snow to head north to church the bottom of my car literally was pushing snow. My 1992 Buick is not meant for snow. Don't get me wrong the studded tires help but quite frankly it's just too low to the ground.

I went along at a stellar 25mph all the way to church as the Old Glenn Highway was unplowed the whole way. There were great tracks from the tires of previous cars but the pile in the middle (between the two tire marks) was deep. Never fear I came along and plowed that off with my low rider. :)   80% of the drive I experienced the sound of snow scraping the bottom of my car. I even managed to get snow wedged up into the fan of my heater causing it to sing a puttering screech.

I arrived at church to find a pick-up with a front snowplow clearing the lot. Pastor had awoken early to clear the sidewalks (which were now covered with another 1/2 inch of snow). I left my car running seeing as I had snow jammed up in the undercarriage and in my heater. I went in to put the finishing touches on my High School Lesson and rehearse with the choir (as we sang today, since it was All Saints Day). Eventually I shut my car off.

After church I went home to eat and get my snow gear. What do Alaskan's do after a half foot of snow has fallen? They go hiking of course! 

After church a lady named Gaye invited the congregation to come hiking. I of course could not pass up the adventure.

I put on Toonie's (the dog) coat. She has fur but with this much snow she would be cold and wet. After gearing up we headed off to Mirror Lake.



We met up with Pastor, Lydia, and instigator Gaye. The trail we followed was the 5K path. At Mirror Lake there are 2 1/2 K, 5K and 7 1/2 K trails. For the beginning all of the trails run together but eventually split. The trail was covered with snow which made for a great work out. The spruce trees were all heavily covered with snow as well.





We trudged along and it was one of the most beautiful trails I've seen. I don't know what I like better the snow covered trees of now, or the earlier fall colored trees. Alaska is simply stunning!








No comments:

Post a Comment