Tuesday, November 15, 2011

UnChristian

For internship I am required to read several books and then write up a book review as an assignment. For this month the book to read is called “UnChristian What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters” I generally hate reading, unfortunately my reading program in elementary school (Accelerated Reading AR) ruined that but this was actually a good book. Perhaps it’s because it’s so applicable to me or perhaps because it talks about the tough topics that else seems to tip toe around, but I would recommend it for anyone to read. With that here is an abridged version of my book review for this month…



I recently attended the LCMS NW District all workers conference. The theme of the conference was “Unity”. There was a speaker who spoke about uniting and how we must be as one church under one God. With so many denominations and differing “levels” of Christianity we often focus on differences than similarities. Even within the LCMS I have seen the differing “levels”. Up here in Alaska I would find things far more “relaxed”. I say this not as a criticism but simply as a difference of culture and region. It’s good to note that even Christ remained relevant to the times and cultures. Using a parable in reference to agriculture which was something the culture was very familiar with.

Before I give my two cents about the book, I feel it only fair to say that the book generalizes the Christian Church. Certainly not all churches act as “ a church infatuated with itself.” (Kinnaman, 14) but unfortunately it is seen more often than not.

One of several quotes that I found that caught my attention and my highlighter was: "Christianity has become bloated with blind followers who would rather repeat slogans than actually feel true compassion and care.” (15) This is something I have seen in both my home congregation and at my current internship church. “Connecting People to Jesus” is the slogan up here. While it’s a good one and holds true I’m not sure that we are doing enough to equip people to do so. It’s preached about, talked about, but when I think about it I feel that we miss the boat.

“Most people in America, when they are exposed to the Christian faith, are not being transformed. They take one step into the door, and the journey ends. They are not being allowed, encouraged, or equipped to love or to think like Christ.” (82) In other words they are not taking what is preached from church to the streets.
In my limited ministry experience this is one area that will challenge me to the point of frustration.

Congregations in general support any number of events or programs but the “support” does not come in the way we need the most. For instance people will put their money where their mouth is and donate to the youth, or missions, or outreach, but what about time? What would happen if instead of money each person put in time? Time is valuable and in this day and age with the dollar quickly losing its value time can be precious. Monetary funds are essential but time can be more valuable.

Another quote that really hit the nail on the head states “Christians are primarily perceived for what they stand against. We have become famous for what we oppose, rather than who we are for.” (26) I cannot even begin to explain how much I agree with this. I could go into multiple stories of where I have seen this in real life but instead I will stick to what the book talks about. Several interviewees pointed out that the church, as much as she wants to “hate the sin love the sinner,” simply cannot separate the two.

I used to cringe when I'd hear the cliche "love the sinner, but hate the sin." I thought it was impossible. I mean, come on, everybody who says that seems to bash both in short order. Then I read a paragraph by C. S. Lewis that blew my mind. He notes that there is someone I love, even though I don't approve of what he does. There is someone I accept, though some of his thoughts and actions revolt me. There is someone I forgive, though he hurts the people I love the most. That person is me. There are plenty of things I do that I don't like, but if I can love myself without approving of all I do, I can also love others without approving of all they do. As that truth has been absorbed into my life, it has changed the way I view others. (198)

This also coincides with a quote an outsider stated that “the underlying concern of Christians often seems more about being right than about listening.” (33) I have also seen this first hand and because of it, am learning to combat it. There is nothing greater than having the humility to admit when one is wrong. A sincere apology or asking of forgiveness can go a long way and I think that our society and our “Christian Church” have fallen away from it, making it less appealing.

No one is above God, and while we as parish leaders may have power to direct and guide a congregation it is not done by man alone but the Holy Spirit. The attitude of: “Look what event we have put on”, “look at the ministry we do” is one of the things that detracts the outsiders from the true Church. We all sin and leading through our imperfections is very humbling and a great way to connect to people. "While knowledge may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up the church' (1 Cor. 8:1). (16)

“Christians are too concerned with converting people. They are insincere. “ ‘All I ever hear is ‘Get saved!’ I tried that whole ‘Jesus thing’ already.’” (67). It’s not about the numbers. All too often, individuals base the success of an event by the number of people in attendance. It’s so much more than that. It’s about the relationship with people. It's about taking the mask of self-righteousness off (the mask that encourages outsiders to make such claims as one being hypocritical, judgmental, sheltered and too political) and revealing authenticity in our relationships with others “Like Jesus we have to learn to respond to criticism appropriately and with the proper motivation.” (208)

1 comment:

  1. I love it!
    I heard a story about a guy who preached to an empty church... every Sunday... because it's not about the number of people or looking good (or even looking sane), it's about doing His work where He has put you. It's about loving because He loves you.
    I think that preacher eventually had a full house...
    -Tegdirb =)

    ReplyDelete