Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Eve-A Family Tradition

Christmas Eve has always been one of my favorite church services of the year. Back home we would have both 7:00pm and 10:00pm church services. Generally the Kuhl side of the family would gather and Grandma & Grandpa Kuhl's for supper, open presents, and then we would head out to the late 10:00pm church service. At the late, 10:00pm, we would have the traditional candle light service with the glow of candles. It was one of my top two favorite services (Easter Sunrise being the other) of the year.

This year I am not at home but instead on internship in Alaska. I was excited to see that my internship church of Our Redeemer Lutheran also does a late night--10:30pm candle light service as well as an earlier 7:00pm service too. We gathered at the 10:30pm service. The women of the choir sang a pre-lude "Emmanuel" from Handel's "Messiah". We then preceded to sing traditional songs and hymns that brought me back to my childhood. The choir sang, once again, during the offertory "Lulley Alleluia" and then went into the Lord's Supper.

After the Lord's Supper the congregation was invited to gather in a circle to continue on with the candle light portion of the service. I thought it very fitting that we be in a circle as it is a symbol of eternity just as through Christ's birth, death, and resurrection we are offered the gift of eternal life.


With a smaller congregation the circle did not make it quite all the way around the sanctuary but we still we able to see meaning and purpose in the idea. Starting with Pastor lighting his candle from the advent wreath the flame was passed on both sides from one person to the other, until the whole room was lit by the glow of candles. The passage from Matthew 5 was read:


“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:15-16).


With that the congregation joined in singing Silent Night. I was overwhelmed by the Spirit as I got goosebumps across my arms and neck. It was a very powerful moment that nearly brought me to tears. I stood there with my candle in hand to reflect on how blessed I am by this congregation and the people in my life thinking where I have originated physically (distance) and in my faith walk and how far I had come.

"Radiant Beams" light up each of my families face-yes family I say :)

Candles and the brightly lit Christmas tree-I love it!

 As we joined in the final verse the lyrics "Radiant beams from Thy holy face / With the dawn of redeeming grace" struck me to the point of tears. The candle of each congregation member shone brightly with "radiant beams" upon each individual's face. While I would love to be at home for Christmas with my family I could think of no place better than to be at Our Redeemer with the group of people I consider my family and that allows me this night and always to "Sleep in Heavenly Peace". How blessed I am, Praise God!

A Semi-Circle of candles around the sanctuary 

*click on any of the images to see them in larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment