Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cyber Christmas

Christmas for my family came on December 26th. I awoke early at 6:00am Alaska time in order to be skyped in with my family back in Minnesota at 9:00am Minnesota time. It was strange seeing my house, and living room while not being physically present. I was even given a tour of my bedroom which has had an extreme makeover with new wallpaper to cover the 100+ years of cracks, with 4 intense tornadoes, and many a windstorm. I also am getting a new ceiling--or at least tiles to cover the cracks so you can sleep with the cracks out of mind wondering when the attic will fall on top of you. I also got a tour of the bathroom. It's PURPLE?! When did that happen. How things change.

The gift opening did not begin until 7:30 (10:30am CST). It was fun to see all the packages I had sent home be opened. Christmas this year was not just missing me but my youngest sister Kayli too. Kayli is currently in Crailsheim Germany as part of Worthington's German exchange program. Kayli had called in earlier as her time difference is 7 hours from Minnesota. It's a cyber Christmas for sure!

Although I was skyped (video) in it seemed like I was right there opening presents. Some of the highlights included a digital picture frame that I gave to my parents with pictures on it, a 5 pound Hershey's Chocolate Bar from Adam to my dad (this is becoming a Christmas tradition), lots of German chocolate from Kayli to the family, several "Alaska T-Shirts" to my dad and brother, and jewlery for my sister. Perhaps the most favored gift I gave to my family was a homemade CD recording of me singing traditional Christmas songs including "O Holy Night" which I sang each year at my home congregation and family gatherings on Christmas Eve while my youngest sister would accompany me on the piano.

My Brother Amery
Dad and his 5 pound candy bar from Adam- a tradition two years running
A gift from Kayli in Germany, you burn incense in the chimney of the house
I even got some Christmas presents via the internet. My brother bought me a gift but since I was not there to open it dad offered to do so. My dad opened it for me and revealed that Amery had bought me the main characters to Willow Tree Nativity. How perfect! I have been steadily collecting Willow Tree, or "Faceless People" as my brother likes to tease me, since I was a freshmen in High School and my collection is growing bigger.

Willow Tree Nativity. I do not have all the pieces but someday I will :)
My family, in Minnesota, ate dinner and then went to Grandma and Grandpa Pfeil's in the afternoon. Grandman and Grandpa do not have internet but with Adam being so high tech he took our hotspot from the farm to Grandma and Grandpas for a surprise skype with them. They have not seen me since May, and wont see me until I get back after internship. It was great to see them.

I then got to sit in on the opening of presents with the Pfeil side of the family. I am so thankful for my fiance Adam. Bless his heart he is going to all my family, and extend family Christmases without me. What a keeper, that's true love right there.
Grandpa, Amery, and Adam.
Grandma got perfume! 
Mindy got a neat hat
Mom got some new towels
I am so thankful for technology and being able to "attend" my family Christmases from 3500 miles away. It's really unique. When I become full time DCE I told my family we will have to move Christmas to July, it comes with the territory of working within a church, but as far as I'm concerned it's Christmas every day as this congregation, my family, God Himself keeps on ringing in the blessings and that should be celebrated not once a year but EVERY DAY of the year.

Merry Christmas to all of you with love from Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment