Thursday, January 12, 2012

Alaska Driving 101

I grew up on a farm. My house ten miles out of town two of which were solely gravel. If we got a heavy snowstorm (especially on Sundays) my dad would drive the tractor down the gravel roads to plow us out. Sometimes I would come home late after fall play, debate, speech, or musical rehearsal to find the gravel roads drifted in taller than the hood of my car.

I remember coming home one time with my brother and my brother had the gas floored, tires spinning, speedometer reading 60mph but we were barely moving. Hitting each snow drift, as the car heater fan got jammed with snow, but we made it home eventually.

Well no years of driving gravel, unplowed roads could prepare me for driving in town in Alaska after snowfall. We did not get the huge dump that was expecting this last storm system around. Oh, we still got plenty of snow but not near like the other side of the inlet.

Today I drove into Eagle River, AK to run errands. Driving was INSANE! The Old Glenn Highway (similar to Oxford Street for all you Worthington readers) is the main drag. Four lanes of traffic and all the major stores/shops on the stretch of road. In my drive here are my top ten observations/frustrations...

1. Turn Signals-Do people not use them or are they concentrating to hard on not dying that they cannot take their hands off the wheels? You realize that not knowing what you are going to do on dry pavement results my need to react, well this is not dry pavement, buddy, I cannot react as fast. Please use your turn signal so I can anticipate your actions.

2. Drag Race vs. Grandma-Some drivers (mostly the 4x4 trucks) come FLYING down the road way to fast for the conditions only to run into the grandma driver going 5mph (too slow even with the road conditions) both are dangerous and both are frustrating. How about we all drive the limit and all arrive ALIVE. Okay?

3. Lane Hog x2-So there are two lanes of traffic on each side of the road. Since there is ice caked on the pavement coverd with snow one cannot see the dashed lines marker each person's lane. So you have to guess where to drive. Well "Mr. Oblivious" in front of me was driving smack dab in the middle hogging BOTH lanes. He almost took out "Mr. Drag Race" who was trying to pass but there was no room. Seriously people, pick a lane or at least follow the person in front of you.

4. Ground Blizzard Pass-Driving faster than 30mph creates heavy blowing snow as a result of a passing vehicle. The worst is when you meet an oncoming snowplow this results in a good 3 second white out, and then the gravel truck following behind the plow with another 3 second white out, followed by a line of traffic, who cannot pass because they cannot see beyond the plow in front of them, which results in a LONG period of white out. I came to almost a stop when this happens because I could not see.

5. Head Lights-I realize that sunset is later now (4:15pm) but driving at dusk is the worst especially for those who do not turn their headlights on. It's hard enough to see with the blowing snow and obstructed view of 10 foot piles of snow at each street corner, but no headlights, come on people lets do us both a favor and use your head (lights).

6. Snow Piles-At each stop sign/street corner there is a very large pile of snow. I was coming out of the bank and needed to cross 2 lanes to head back north, home. It was of course rush hour and normally one has to wait for a long time anyways without snow. The problem is my car has a very long hood. I cannot see around to look left and right to see if there is an opening to cross or not because of the LARGE PILES OF SNOW at the corners. So I creep out to see only to find a car headed toward me so I must either gun it, or throw it in reverse. I opted to throw it in reverse there is no "gunning it" in Alaska.
Stop Sign
7. Traction-I have studded tires, but studded tires do nothing against snow. They are great for ice but nothing for snow. When accelerating one must keep in mind it will take 5x longer to get moving because there is no traction. This is key for if one plans to "gun it" to jump traffic. There is no "gunning it" it doesn't happen, just wait it out.



8. Breaks-There is no quick stopping, and with all written above breaks are needed. It's not me it's the guy two cars ahead. Some car is in the same situation I was at a stop sign, creeps out, and realizes they have to gun it or reverse. In this case they gun it, resulting in a domino of break lights passing three cars ahead of me to myself. While this looks good on Christmas lights it can be disastrous on the road because even with good breaks the snow and ice make you slide.

9. Pedestrians- I realize that the sidewalks are gone and there is nowhere to walk, but walking on the road is a bad choice. I'd take my chances walking in snow. You realize I can't see, can't stop, and I can't help what the idiots around me do right?

10. Stop Lights-If it turns yellow you better keep going because if you try to screech to a halt it will likely result in a tailgate party and I don't mean at a football game. Today I watched a Chevy truck go through a yellow then turned red light with a police sitting waiting for a green turn arrow. The police didn't even care. It's an Alaska fact.

Moral of the story is, don't drive unless you have to on bad roads AND next time I'm an intern in Alaska I'm getting a 4x4 pick-up truck, it'd be well worth it. I keep reminding myself at least i'm not in Valdez or Cordova AK they have MUCH more snow than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment