Sunday, January 15, 2012

Connections for the Future

How exciting it is to see something start small and grow. Excitement is the feeling I have as Our Redeemer Lutheran's contemporary worship service that we call "The Connections Service" is growing. When I first arrived at ORLC The Connections Service consisted of playing the contemporary songs on iTUNES while the congregation sang along. While this was not ideal, it was the only option the congregation had as musicians were limited.

I arrived June 1st, and by August I had began offering free guitar lessons to anyone interested. I had two student's initially both under the age of 12! I had one hour of lessons for each student every week. While I had these students it of course took time for them to learn the chords, songs, and strum patters. So in the meantime for each month I remained a one [wo]man band.

This month was very exciting as the music committee put together music folders that have the contemporary songs sheet music. This was a great idea that the music committee had, and we finally implemented it this month. One of the hardest hurdles for the congregation to overcome was the unfamiliarity of each new song, and that there was no music but just words on a screen. With the new music folders containing sheet music the congregation is now able to follow along better than words alone.

Assembling 80 music folders; a Saturday afternoon activity.
In addition to the music folders the leaders for the service now has a "Praise TEAM" (not me alone). This is most exciting as one of my guitar students, Stephanie, was able to join in leading worship. I was also blessed to have the very talented Johnny join me with his mad guitar skills. This month we also had Layne as the lead vocal!

The service went very well. Johnny does phenomenal guitar picking and "pick-ups" while Stephanie and I focus on solid strumming. We really enhance each other's playing and together just create a good music worship experience. With Layne leading vocals this allows for me and the other guitar player to focus on simply guitar which is a great relief of pressure to me.

Worship TEAM!
Stephanie & Layne: Like a pro!

I am glad to see that this service growing due in large part to the music committee's support and the congregation's patience. It would be fun to come back in a year or two to see what The Connections Service is like then.

This whole thing is like raising a baby. Starting with my guitar students and teaching them their first chords, to now leading worship right along side me. God is so good! I don't mean to sound Southern Baptist but I just am in such love, and have such a passion for ministry and looking to the future to empower others to lead ministry as well. It may not be Pentecost and I may not speak in tongues but I sure can proclaim to the rooftops the love Christ has for His Children of God and help those around me recognize their God-given gifts and abilities. I love this internship!

1 comment:

  1. You guys sounded TERRIFIC from our spot way in the back! :D

    ReplyDelete