Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weather Report

I don't mean for this blog to become a weather station, but I have just never seen so much snow all at once. This is all very unusual to me. Yesterday the Chinook winds kicked in around 5:00pm and blew through the night.
This is what it normally looks like out my window..

Then the winds picked up...

And pretty soon it was a complete white out ground blizzard.
I don't know if I dare say this but I rather enjoyed the wind. I love listening to it as it reminds me of sleeping in my own bed at home. We get some rip roaring wind on the farm in Minnesota. This of course I say because I was safe inside a warm house.

This morning I awoke and once again they are forecasting snow. Not just a little snow but the predicted range is 9-18 inches. WHAT?! 9 inches is the LOW END?!

Statement as of 4:54 AM AKST on January 11, 2012

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 9 PM this evening to
9 PM akst Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Anchorage has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow... which is in effect from 9 PM this evening
to 9 PM akst Thursday.

* Snow... 9 to 18 inches is expected to accumulate between this
evening and Thursday evening.

* Timing... snow will begin this evening and intensify through
Thursday morning the gradually taper off Thursday afternoon and
evening.

* Impacts... travel may be difficult. Visibilities may be limited
in heavy snowfall.

I'm not sure where they are going to put it all. My path here at the house is already waste deep, at church it's shoulder high on the sides of the entryway and half way up the bell tower out front 6 feet deep! I am not yet sick of snow and no, i'm not just saying that. It's really quite mind blowing and I'm not complaining because for the most part I don't have to remove much of it.

I'd rather it be snowing and cold than just cold and clear. There is something magical about the snow although I'm not so sure about another 9-18 inches that just might be disastrous not to mention there is a spot on the church roof over the sanctuary that was weak before the snowfall. Hey Dad, if we had this much at home we'd have scooped the roof of the shop three times already! Well, we shall see what tomorrow's morning light brings perhaps it will be a snow day.
The snow is half way up the bell tower at church

The church entrway, it's shoulder high see how far it's up the tree on the right?

No comments:

Post a Comment