Saturday, January 7, 2012

Snowpocalypse

Alaska get's a lot of snow. No news there. Everyone keeps telling me that the snowfall for this year has been "unusual". I don't know any different and just figured, "hey, it's Alaska and it snows". I cannot put into words the piles of snow EVERYWHERE! Perhaps the best way to describe it is through the front page article of the Anchorage Daily News. Click --> HERE <-- to read the article (Dad that means you, you will love all the weather craziness).
Picture from ADN of snow tunnel on the streets of Valdez
Valdez is located approximately 80 miles due east of anchorage (as the crow flies). So the have gotten lots of snow. Anchorage also has received large amounts of snow. The Anchorage Daily News reported that the official tally of the last storm was between 5.5 and 20 inches (not including hillside). This is a broad range due to the vast size of Anchorage and the way the mountains interfere with the weather patterns as well as the ocean.

Tonight as I write the National Weather Service of Anchorage has issued yet another winter weather advisory:

Statement as of 9:47 PM AKST on January 07, 2012

... Winter Weather Advisory for snow remains in effect until 9 am
akst Sunday...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow remains in effect until 9 am
akst Sunday.

* Snow... 6 to 12 inches.

* Timing... snow will persist through the night. Snow will end
from southwest to northeast by late morning.

* Impacts... travel may be difficult. Visibilities may be limited
in heavy snowfall.
Just a little bit of snow to plow
I knew the snow storm was coming and since I have moved back to my real host home here in Alaska as I finished up house sitting I decided to head to Fred Meyer to get some groceries. I was shocked. The store was PACKED with people like it was Black Friday. I went to get some basic things ie: Eggs and Milk. I first went to get eggs but they were out. Not like kinda out, but NOTHING. So I went to get milk. Milk was slim pickings. Being 1 person, who doesn't use milk except on cereal, I get 1/2 gallons. They were out of 1/2 gallon milk in 2%, 1%, and non-fat (skim). I waited for people to clear and snapped this picture on my cell phone:

Took with my cell phone of the lack of milk in Fred Meyer
Rather than get a gallon I opted to just go with water and dry cereal. The expiration dates on the gallons were not long enough that I would finish before it went bad. I guess everyone heard about the blizzard and decided to stock up. Never fear mom and dad I have enough soup to last me until May, and plenty of other things to make without milk.

Another 6-12 inches expected overnight?!! I left confirmation from church tonight and there was already a good 3 inches of snow on my car. As I drove home (to my home sweet host home, as I'm done house sitting), I hardly made it up the hill. By the fifth switchback with the steepest grade my tires were spinning due to low traction on account of the snowfall. It will be interesting to see what the morning light reveals.


People keep saying this is a very "unusual" year. Well if it's "unusual" and "once in a lifetime" I'm all over that. Oh, Alaska how I do love thee and your 6-12 inch dumps of snow.

P.S You all should look at the pictures of snow around the area by clicking --> HERE <-- Once there click on the left and right arrows to view  (Pictures 17-30 are the best). All those in the midwest wondering where your snow has gone, it's here in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment