Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bone Chillingly Cold

Last night I rang in the new years with a frigid -11 degrees. This morning I awoke for church, I checked the Cheesman's (the people I'm house sitting for) fancy external thermometer and it read -15. I went out to start my car but it would not start. I decided it was due to the cold (still hoping it is). I then got in the Cheesman's Subaru and it too did not start on the first attempt. After the second time and a little pumping of the gas it started.

Driving down the mountain I watched as the digital thermometer increased in temp from -15 to -14, to -12, and by the time I got to the church parking lot it was a nice -9 degrees. I say "nice" but that's still cold.

-9 at the church parking lot

After church I drove home and noticed as I increased elevation back to the Cheesman's house it was a clear day. I COULD SEE THE SUN!! This made me VERY happy as it has either been cloudy, snowing, or I have been confined indoors since three days before Christmas. I got home and saw out the window that Denail was out, and she was dressed in PINK!

Notice the low laying clouds all along the inlet, hence it was cloudy at church and lower elevations but clear up high.

I was tired and wanted a nap but decided that the opportunity of a clear day does not come often so I went to change clothes to prepare for a hike. I came up from my bedroom and noticed that the sun was no longer shining through the window. I looked out and Denali had disappeared. HOW CRAZY! In less than 10 minutes (the time it took me to change clothes) the clouds rolled in. Compare the picture above and below. They are taken less than 30 minutes apart. 

What? Denali used to be RIGHT THERE!
I opted for a much needed nap instead of going outside. Before heading to nap I checked the my e-mail and the desktop weather revealed a mind blowing -24 degrees outside. Holy Moley! Alaska, you sure keep things interesting. 


1 comment: