Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Adventure's in Anchorage!

This Sunday was a celebration of VBS. The church was bustling with activity. Participants and their families gathered to join in the occasion. During the church service the children all gathered to sing some of their favorite songs from the week including He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands, My God is so Great, Strong and Mighty, and their personal favorite “The Happy Song”. It was wonderful to see the excitement and energy that I got to witness all week, put into a moment for the congregation to witness too.

After the church service, there was an ice cream social and a time of fellowship and reminiscing of VBS highlights. I really enjoyed  connecting with the families again, and I look forward to the upcoming year and working with the families at Our Redeemer Lutheran church.

After church I decided to do a little exploring and ventured into Anchorage. This was the second time since my arrival that I had been to Anchorage. I headed to the Anchorage Market, located in downtown Anchorage. The market has over 400 vendors with 314 booths that offer Alaska's largest variety of products, including unique handmade arts, crafts and gifts by Alaskan artisans, collectibles, furs, jewelry, fresh produce, a wide variety of foods to eat at the market or take home.



Creations made from Muskox hair.
Fox fur only $125.00 in a variety of colors. Indigo (far left), gray, or red.



Halibut!

The market is not limited to shopping as there is also a stage that provides continual entertainment. When I passed the stage, there was a bagpiper and dancer who caught my attention for a few minutes until Jorge decided he wanted to move on.


Native Music!
After strolling up and down the market, Jorge and I took a stroll up and down the downtown city streets. I found a lot of tourist shops, the historic Anchorage City Hall, Alaska Visitor’s Center, and unexpectedly came across the Gay Pride parade.


Historic City Hall
2492 air miles to Worthington, MN (I calculated :)
After fun downtown, Jorge and I decided to go to a less busy part of town for a hike along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. We got lost on our way to the main trail entrance but, as luck would have it, stumbled upon the brown signs which guided us to one of the many entrances.

I do enjoy the sign written in "dog" (Far left)
The trail was flat and paved. It is shared by both bikers and pedestrians. Jorge and I walked south for a mile and a half and stopped at a clearing with a stunning view of Mount Susitna. The shore was covered in mud which is actually fine particles of glacial silt. Signs all along the trail warned not to walk out on the shore as this can result in a person getting stuck. The silt acts like quicksand and when the water is displaced, has the constancy of cement. If one gets stuck, the tide can roll back in and the result could be hypothermia or worse.
Mount Susitna From the Coastal Trail clearing.
Mud Flats warning, it's like quick sand!




On a happier note Jorge and I saw a family of Sand Hill Cranes on the walk back. There were three adults and several fluffy babies. I was glad to see wildlife and had not seen Sand Hill Cranes before. All in all it was a very busy and rewarding day
Jorge liked the Daisies.

The babies are directly in the middle in the grass. Can you find them?

No comments:

Post a Comment